About Our Department
The Office of Highway Superintendent involves a great variety of different responsibilities under various statutes. However, the basic powers and duties are found in Section 140 of the NYS Highway Law as summarized below:
- Responsible for the care of Village roads
- Responsible for keeping all roads free from obstructions caused by snow
- Responsible for dividing the Village into as many sections as may be necessary for the proper maintenance and repair of Village roads and the opening of Village roads obstructed by snow
- Responsible for constructing and repairing sluices and culverts and cause all waterways, bridges and culverts to be kept open
- Responsible for erecting the monuments to be used as the boundaries of Village roads and to maintain/renew the monuments as needed
- Responsible for measuring all Village Roads and report which roads have been surfaced with gravel, crushed stone, and those shaped and crowned; and the total mileage of all Village roads
For more detailed information on our services, please call during regular business hours at (845) 928-6912 or email us at email@example.com.
Follow us on Facebook
For up-to-date information on road construction/closures as well as any upcoming events that Woodbury may be hosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Highway Department responsible for?
Highway services generally include:
- Construction, repair, and reconstruction of roads, bridges and culverts
- Maintenance of road signs and markings
- Snow plowing and ice control
- Organic recycling (leaf bags and brush)
- Maintenance of shoulders and roadside areas
- Maintenance of all department vehicles and equipment
- Project planning and design (new and maintaining existing infrastructure)
Is the Highway Department responsible to replace mailboxes during inclement weather?
Under NYS Highway Law 319, the Highway Department is NOT responsible for replacing mailboxes or any other obstruction that may have gotten damaged by the snow removal process.
To help reduce the possibility of damage, please refer to USPS specifications regarding a properly placed mailbox.
Does the Highway Department operate on weekends?
Normal hours of operation are Monday- Friday from 6:30am to 3:00pm. If there is an emergency, please call the Police Department at (845) 928-2341. The Superintendent of Highways does meet with residents in the evenings and on weekends, By Appointment Only.
Is the Highway Department responsible for street lights?
No the Highway does not maintain the street lights within the Village. Below is the link to report a street light problem directly to Orange and Rockland Utilities or call the Highway Department and we can report the problem on your behalf. Please note that the two 5 digit numbers located on each pole are necessary for reporting street light problems.
Report Street Light Outage
Portions of the Village of Woodbury are designated as MS4 areas. This is an EPA designation for "municipal separate storm sewer systems" for conveyance of rainwater. These systems typically consist of curbs, gutters, streets, ditches and storm drains. Rainwater flows from city hardscape (impervious land cover such as asphalt and concrete) into these systems; it then travels into streams lakes and rivers.
The MS4 designation applies to communities that meet the EPA's criteria based on U.S. Census Bureau urbanized area statistics.
A portion of the Village of Woodbury (Town initially) was designated as an MS4 community in 1999 when the EPA implemented Phase II regulations (communities under 100,000 populations). The Village then obtained required discharge permit coverage under a State Pollutant Discharge Permit issued by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. This permit requires the Village satisfy six principal measures regulated under the law. One of these is to provide educational opportunities to the public to understand impacts from stormwater and how to improve storm water quality. The following links provide detailed information on this program.
To view the Town Engineer's annual report with the state DEC in connection with stormwater management please click here.www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8468.html
Fall Leaf & Brush Pickup
Fall Brush and Leaf pickup will be picked up (weather permitting) each Monday and continue until the first snowfall. After First snowfall the pickup service will then continue on or about April 1st.
- Brush must be stacked neatly with all cut ends facing the road
- All piles must NOT be on the road surface or in drainage ditches, as this might danger motorists and hinder any road work (snow plowing) from being done effectively
- Brush is limited to 3 yards per household
- The Village of Woodbury Highway Department does NOT pick up bulk leaves
- All leaves and organic debris must be placed in brown paper recyclable bags
- Plastic bags will NOT be accepted
- Our current organic recycling center will discontinue services if any garbage, plastics, metals, or anything non-organic is found. Please help in keeping this great service in Woodbury. By following these simple rules, we as the Village of Woodbury can live in a more clean and beautiful environment.
Winter Weather Notice
Beginning November 15 thru April 15, The Village prohibits parking on Village roads during inclement winter weather. This law enables the Highway Department to clear the roads in an effective manner as well as to protect motorists and pedestrians. Vehicles in violation of this law can be ticketed and/or towed. Thank you for your cooperation.
Also please remove any and all obstructions from the road surface for the aforementioned dates. Eg: Basketball hoops, hockey nets, garbage and recycling cans. The Highway Department will not be responsible for any damage done to these items during our snow removal process.